The Coal Country Chamber of Commerce Fourteenth Annual Summer Concert Series will bring music to our area again this year on Tuesdays in June and July, beginning June 5 in Benld City Park. The concerts begin at 7 p.m. and are 90 minutes straight through. Beginning at 6 p.m. the park is open and the concession stand is open to serve hot dogs, “big smokies”, Italian beef, soda and water, and strawberry shortcake sundaes.
The concerts, which bring crowds to the covered pavilion on the South side of the Benld City Park and the large expanse of lawn, are free to the public. Patrons regularly bring their own lawn chairs and enjoy the concerts rain or shine because we are under the pavilion. Parking is free and dancing is often enjoyed.
This year’s lineup is:
- June 5: B &B Strings (Acoustic Trio of Classic Rock & Country)
- June 12: Rockabilly Revival (Jazz, Blues, Classic Rock & Country)
- June 19: Steam Roller Band (Blues, Country, Folk)
- June 26: You Can’t Beat Experience Jazz
- July 3: Joe Frew (Acoustic Cracker Funk Soulternative vibrations coming from a corn field in the Central Midwest)
- July 10: Scrap Iron & Gold (Gospel and Bluegrass)
- July 17: Fireproof (Contemporary Christian)
- July 24: The Fundamentals (Pop/Rock, Oldie, Motown)
- July 31: Steve Davis (Memories of Elvis)
Anyone having questions or seeking more information on the Summer Concert Series may contact Mickey Robinson at 217-710-5218. Information on the concerts and other Chamber activities can be seen on the Chamber website, www.coalcountrychamber.com, or visit them on Facebook.